Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday - Leo Harrison's High School Textbooks





Three books. Three small books. Each only about 4" x 6" in size. Almost one hundred years old. Tattered and worn; the titles hardly legible. Anyone else's eyes would see these as worthless. My eyes see them as priceless. Why? Because these books belonged to my maternal grandfather-Leo Harrison. 

Leo Harrison was born near Byrneville, Harrison County, Indiana on January 27, 1906.  He attended high school in the early-mid 1920's at New Salisbury High School in Harrison County. These were some of his high school textbooks. Quite different looking than the textbooks I studied from in the late 1970's.

And the titles...well they're also different from the titles I remember studying.


Lincoln's Addresses, Inaugurals and Letters 
along with 
Macaulay's Speeches on Copyright
©1909-This Edition Published 1924


Autobiography
of
Benjamin Franklin
©1901-This Edition Published 1920



The Odyssey of Homer
©1905-This Edition Published 1921

I did read this book, although I'm sure my copy was just a mass produced paperback.

My grandfather had also written his name with dates inside each of these books. 

Leo's signature inside the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin


Leo's Signature inside The Odyssey of Homer


Leo's Signature inside Lincoln's Addresses, Inaugurals and Letters


Not bad handwriting for a high school teen!

And inside the Franklin book, many notes were added in the margins.

Leo's margin notes inside The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin



I find it interesting getting a small glimpse into what my grandfather was studying as a young man in the 1920's.

I've always loved to read and have always loved history. Put that together with the love of a grandchild for their grandparent and it's no wonder why I love these books so much.



Leo Harrison 1906-1980



(Leo Harrison - Lisa's maternal grandfather)



Treasure Chest Thursday

A post with the main focus being a family treasure, an heirloom or even an every day item meaningful to you or your family. 
A daily blogging prompt from Thomas MacEntee at GeneaBloggers.






This and all other posts on this blog are © copyright 2016 by Lisa Dillman Wright.




No comments:

Post a Comment